Its been a while since my last update. I had to put work on hold for a bit but now I am back working on the gun. The main framework is now completed and I am down to the detail work. I have assembled the main barrel chambers and build the main framework for the rifle. The framing is shaped out of MDF and apoxie sculpt. The joint in the center of the photo below has also been reinforced with a steel brace to give it strength. This was really important since this joint is the main connection point between the front half of the rifle and the back half.
The nose of the gun is also almost complete with just minor detail work left. I have added electronics so the acrylic tube in the nose will glow green. This is in addition to the lights in the main chambers that are controlled by the switches. Here is a picture of the nose lit up.
The black rubber tubing is heavy duty electrical cabling that I cut down and inserted into brass plumbing fittings on the gauge boxes. The main framework has been painted with the same technique used on the AER9. First a base coat of chrome and then a light coat of silver which gives it a great cast look.
The rear cap for the main barrel was also an interesting piece to make. It was made of MDF and a handful of acorn nuts. Here is a picture before it was painted.
And finally here is a photo of the gun assembled and painted.
Getting the frame built and assembled was a major milestone since I can now get a feel for how the gun will look and feel once it is finished. It is going to be a BIG gun. Now that the main elements of the gun have been built, it is on the the detail work which there is a lot of. There are so many smaller components to build that I can't wait to start working on. I will be starting with the front grip so the gun is easier to hold. As usual there are more photos on my flickr site so head on over and check them out. Updates should be coming more frequently as small pieces get added so check back soon!!!